Ankle Foot Orthosis (AFO)
Ankle foot orthosis is externally applied to the lower limb and designed to protect, prevent, support or correct deviation of the foot and ankle.
The AFO (custom made or prefabricate) is our most commonly made device. Various hinges are also available for AFO’s, which allow articulation of the ankle joint.
AFO’s are prescribed for several conditions, some of which include stroke, cerebral palsy, spina bifida, multiple sclerosis, paraplegia, polio or ankle and foot deviation.
Types of ankle foot orthosis available at Toronto Orthopedic:
- Rigid ankle foot orthosis (molded AFO)
- Hinged ankle foot orthosis
- Posterior leaf spring ankle foot orthosis
- PTB- ankle foot orthosis ( PTB- patellar tibia bearing)
- Floor reaction ankle foot orthosis
- Conventional ankle foot orthosis